Saturday, April 5, 2014

Tuesday 1 April

To my kleine mannetje



Today is your 12th birthday. Twelve years ago today you were born at home on Easter Monday on a lovely Spring day after a pretty straightforward pregnancy. You gave us a bit of a fright with your weight, that caused a few problems on you entering the world, but you cried pretty much as soon as you were born and you also lost that purple colour that I didn't notice when you were born (wondering why everyone kept telling me you were okay, when I could see you were fine).

Twelve years have flown by. You are now a tall, lean and above all very active 12 year old boy. In the past year you have discovered Minecraft and Skype and you can spend days on end building and chatting to your friends and then as a joke ringing me on Skype when we're in the same room. Minecraft really is just that little more interesting than doing homework and you stamp your foot a little when I tell you that today, no, we're not having any computers (or screens). But you are such good company and usually you end up telling me at the end of such a day, that actually it was really good fun. You like joining me in the kitchen and experimenting with all the gadgets - your latest one was spending half an hour mixing up lots of different spices in the pestle and mortar. You enjoy coming outside with me and helping me in the garden. I'm no gardener and the garden is very neglected, much to my sadness, but with your help the task doesn't seem quite so insurmountable. We love watching the Great British Sewing Bee together, I'm not sure what it is that you like about it as you're not a sewer or crafter (although you do love your Lego) but I look forward to watching it with you every week. And you're the best person to go to Holland with. You get just as excited about it as I do and you seem to like everything in Holland. You famously once told me that if you looked up 'nice' in the dictionary, it would say 'Holland', and the other day you asked why everything seemed nicer in Holland. I have no idea what you'll do in the future but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you ended up spending a longer period of time in Holland.

There are so many things about you that I like - your early waking, same as me, your generosity and kindness, your sense of humor, your helpfulness, your curiosity and eagerness to learn. I'm so very proud to be your mamma and I'm looking forward to seeing you grow up and develop as you hit your teens next year. But for now you're still my kleine mannetje. Happy birthday xxx

ETA: posted late because I was felled by a yucky tummy bug...

No comments:

Post a Comment