Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tuesday 17 September

Ten on Tuesday

The kids have been back at school for almost a fortnight now and seem settled in, if the early morning frustration of getting to the bus stop on time is anything to go by. I've been back at work for the same amount of time and my ten days' holidays seem a long time ago. It doesn't help that the weather has turned decidedly autumnal - cold, wet, windy and it's getting dark earlier every evening at an alarmingly fast rate.

Time to get back to a more regular blogging schedule, and I thought my Happy Ten on Tuesday would be a good start.

1. For the first time in months, B. and I had a whole weekend together. We didn't do anything special or spectacular, but it was a full weekend and it was lovely just to potter around and have a bit more time together.

2. One of our jobs was moving (some of) the tractors to another barn for Winter. I had B. line them up for a photo and was really pleased with how this turned out:

3. On Saturday I picked a bowl full of blackberries for dessert, and we then went to B's father's orchard and picked a load of apples, plums, hazelnuts and some walnuts. On my bike ride earlier that day I'd picked up some squashes and flowers from a little roadside stall. Laid out on the table, it just said Autumn...

Excuse the odd yellow tinge to the photo - this weekend I finally found a nice white balance setting for indoors, low light photos (this wasn't it!).

4. With the blackberries and apples, I made the most delicious dessert. It was possibly the nicest dessert I've ever made and I've already frozen some blackberries so I can make it again for Christmas. Blackberry and apple meringue pie:


5. Ordering sewing supplies for 14yo who started a Fashion and Textiles GCSE this year.

6. My first cup of coffee of the day after dropping 14yo off at the school bus stop.

7. 14yo being very enthusiastic about all her new lessons (she started her GCSE curriculum this school year). Love seeing her motivation to do well.

8. Finishing a cardigan that was knitted entirely in the round. So after casting off, there were only ends to weave in, not anything to sew up. Brilliant!

9. Noticing how my relationship with my 'little old lady' has developed over the past year. She's quite an introvert who doesn't really show her emotions, but through small things I can tell she enjoys my visits. And I enjoy seeing her too.

10. That special Autumn sunlight, that very yellow, warm light you get at the end of the afternoon. Takes me back to doing secondary school homework and looking out of my bedroom window at the garden and the long shadows. Autumn is my favourite time of year, it really is.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment