Sunday, April 26, 2009

All in a day's work

Work has been manic the last few weeks. And working from home is all well and good when the kids are at school, but when it's holidays, it's a slightly different matter. They're now old enough to let me do an hour or so fairly uninterrupted, but not much more than that. And to be honest, I enjoy having them around so I don't really want to be stuck behind the computer while they're at home. So the holidays were a mixture of birthdays (I am now the proud mother of a 10 year old and a 7 year old), days out and trying to fit in a few hours of work here and there - mostly early mornings and after they'd gone to bed.

Things have calmed down ever so slightly this last week, and as an antidote to all that brainwork, I needed a weekend off. B. has been doing the landscaping around his house and started laying the bricks for the driveway. Yesterday as I came out with a coffee, he asked if I wanted to lay a brick too. I gave in, mostly just to please him, thinking I'd do one or two. That was at 3.30 pm. At 7.45 pm we finished for the day - and I'd laid most of the bricks. I did a bit more today, and now every muscle aches, including ones I didn't know I had, I seem to have wiped the fingerprints off my fingers, and my back is sunburnt. But it was the perfect activity for a relaxing weekend - creative and strangely enough, slightly addictive.




More photos on the whole landscaping over on Flickr (link on the right).

This is the view from the master bedroom. I'm always amazed by how big these farm machines are.

I'll leave you with a picture of one of the cats, Snickers, who's watching the wildlife at the pond (mostly the ducks nesting). I know it's a bit blurry but I love it when cats do this and couldn't resist taking a photo.

4 comments:

  1. Now why does that make me think of herringbone socks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm super impressed with the brick laying Cybele!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think that cats or dogs looking intently at something appear more intelligent than some people! Ok, most people!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice brick work- it does look like fun!

    ReplyDelete