Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Some more brightness


My mum bought me this amaryllis back at the end of October when I went over for her endoscopy. When we were in Holland for New Year's Eve, hers had already finished flowering, but mine are in a fairly cold conservatory and have taken until early this week to finally bloom. I'm not always keen on them, as they're so large. I'm not sure if it comes across from the photo, but this one's a miniature one, which is quite sweet looking. It also has tiny white tips, as if they've been dipped in white paint - bit like the tip of the tail of some black cats... The kids are fascinated by this plant and have been following its progress daily. I'm hoping the other buds will all bloom too.



Okay, so I know this looks like something the cat's sicked up, but I. and I are making an Amish friendship bread. I'm sure I've made one before - when I was at university, there was always a student passing on several batches of starter. But I thought she might enjoy it, and it's got a nice recipe for chocolate bread with it which took her fancy. And if she doesn't like it, I love sourdough bread so I'm sure it'll get eaten...

Feeling slightly brighter again. Last Monday was allegedly blue Monday - the worst day of the year, when most people were feeling down. 'I bet it is', I thought when I heard that on the news. I handed in a job today, I got my invoices all up to date (and was as always pleasantly surprised at the amount that's outstanding), I made hamburgers and homemade chips for supper tonight, and I even got out the putty, sorted out the window frame in N.'s room and painted another shelf.
And the days are getting longer and when you wake up in the morning, the birds are singing a different song - there is some Spring in the air. Maybe the world isn't quite such a bad place after all.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better. I know - I like that the days are getting longer and brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... spring. It can do wonders for your health! I am longing for it over here

    ReplyDelete